Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Unit 2: Past Time: A Change of Career

When I was a student more than 40 years ago, I thought that I wanted to be an elementary school teacher because I liked children so much. I enrolled in a teacher training program; I thought that I would complete the program and then get a job teaching in an elementary school in Vermont, where I lived at the time.

I took all the education courses and got good grades. The final course was practice teaching; for the last semester of the program, we had to work as an assistant teacher in a classroom with a more experienced teacher. To my surprise, I couldn't stand it! Even though I like children when I am working or playing with just one child, a whole group of twenty-five of them drove me crazy. I realized that I had made a mistake, and would have to find another career.

I joined the Peace Corps, and went to teach in an adult education program for women in Morocco. Later, I also taught English as a foreign language in a Moroccan school. I found out that I really enjoyed teaching grown-ups, and that is what I have done ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment